Monday, October 13, 2008

Flu shot follies

So the CDC wants all children, let alone the ones like mine with asthma, getting flu shots. Yet I can't get my kids in until mid-November, and me (also with asthma) around the same time! My doc has run out, and I'm not about to make a special appointment with him to pay an extra $15 copay just for that. I already played that game last month when getting my pneumovax. The kids' doc has them plenty but only does flu clinic at certain days and times--and all the afternoon after school times are booked until mid-November! So the kids who have always been on the must-have list even before this year's expanded list have to wait. GREEEEAAAAT. They'll surely get the fu waiting, especially since when we do go, I'll have a cast on my foot. Seems to me that the ped's office needs to hire some temps just to get flu shots plugged away.
Only other way to get the kids a shot before then is if one gets sick and I have to take him/her in for a sick appointment--as long as s/he doesn't have a fever at the time. I can get one anywhere offering it, but again I'm not about to pay another copay to do it, so it has to be under $15. I missed the local urgent care's free event. Maybe I'll have to find another one.
Anyone know how my kids can get flu shots under $15 and not at their ped's office?

1 comment:

Denise said...

Does your local health department offer them? What about the little clinics in the pharmacy, etc....check with your insurance they may cover it at no cost at one of those places, it's probably cheaper for them than a Dr visit.